• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No will, no assets but bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msmiz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware
I had my elderly mother staying with me she died with no will and no assets. She has several medical bills (hospital and doctor) that were accumulated. Am I responsible for paying these? She signed herself into the hospital. She also had a credit card that has a balance. She had no money and no will. Should I be sending a letter for the medical bills and credit card she got the bills from and inform them there is no money in her estate to pay or what should I do. Do I need a lawyer for this??Do I have to pay all these bills. I don't have the money.
Thanks

anteater

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware
I had my elderly mother staying with me she died with no will and no assets. She has several medical bills (hospital and doctor) that were accumulated. Am I responsible for paying these? She signed herself into the hospital. She also had a credit card that has a balance. She had no money and no will. Should I be sending a letter for the medical bills and credit card she got the bills from and inform them there is no money in her estate to pay or what should I do. Do I need a lawyer for this??Do I have to pay all these bills. I don't have the money.
Thanks
You aren't responsible unless you signed something agreeing to be responsible.

Yes, a letter, with a certified copy of the death certificate, explaining your mother's financial situation should probably get most of the creditors to back off. Give that a try and see what the response is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">