• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No wills, property inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aculbert

What is the name of your state? Alabama

A little history first: My husband(Steven's) grandmother and grandfather owned land. They oviously did not have a will. His grandmother passed in '89, his mother in '90 and his grandfather in '91. My husband was under the age of 8. So the land was left to Steven's aunt 1/2 interest and the remaining to the Steven and his 3 siblings(who were all of age) 1/8th interest each. I have seen the notorized documents where Steven's 2 brother's and 1sister sold their 1/8th interest back to the aunt for $500. We have yet to see any papers on Steven's part. Although, his sister, who was his conservator, says that it was all taken care of with a lawyer, and Steven's part was safe. His sister has none of the documents herself due to a house fire some years ago, and is unsure of the lawyer that was was used at the time. But the aunt has since left off Steven's name on several documents. One of which she acquired a loan on the property in '93, (it has the names of his siblings), and she then changed the names on the deed to herself and her husband in '98.

Could his aunt have screwed him out of his part, by leaving off his name. We have been fussing with them for years trying to get his deed, and they refuse to sign anything over. Can someone please help us?

BelizeBreeze

Go to the county courthouse where the property is located, get a copy of the current deed then search for a good real estate attorney to view the history of this piece of property.

There's not much we can tell you without doing the same process ourselves.

nextwife

A title company could abstract the property records from grandma and grampa to now, and then you can take the search to a real estate attorney to interpret and explain what ownership hubby still does or does not have..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">