• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-cooperative widow

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jaye18

What is the name of your state? New York

My ex died 1/04. His widow refuses to disclose certain information, such as whether there was a will, savings bonds numbers,etc. to his children. There is no will registered in court. The adult children are listed as co-owners on savings bonds. We don't know what other assests there may be ,other than insurance, that they may be entitled to. When questioned,she says that she "lost" the will or doesn't have bond numbers. Is going to a lawyer our only option? Is it true that one doesn't have to pay if a judgment is made against them? Thanks for any help.

S

seniorjudge

'...Is it true that one doesn't have to pay if a judgment is made against them?..."
What does that mean?

Anyway, if you are asking if a widow has to tell her adult stepchildren about whether or not she inherited anything from her husband, the answer is no.

If someone is listed on a bond as a joint owner, then when one joint tenant dies, the surviving joint tenant gets that bond.

Jaye18

non-cooperative widow

NY State

The questions in my previous post may not have been clear:

1. not does she have to tell adult children if SHE inherited something,but have the children been listed as beneficiaries on assets.

2. the adult children do not have the bonds in their possession nor do they have access to the numbers. They are co-owners.

Any suggestions?

S

seniorjudge

1. not does she have to tell adult children if SHE inherited something,but have the children been listed as beneficiaries on assets.
Yes, she is supposed to tell you about this.

2. the adult children do not have the bonds in their possession nor do they have access to the numbers. They are co-owners.
Check with a bank to see if there is a way to have treasury tell you about his bonds.

I am afraid I am not being much help; if I knew how to correct the very common problems you are talking about in your post, I would be rich and not posting on this forum but sitting on the beach smoking Cuban cigars and drinking strawberry daqs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">