• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-self proving Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdeelowe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I'm writing this on my mother's behalf because honestly she's been through enough....My grandmother passed away and left a Will that is not "self proving". We are trying to locate the people that signed the Will but are becoming frustrated because this was all done well over 25 years ago. One of the signers has passed away we know for sure and the Notary who signed the Will, his commission expired in 1986.

Is there any way to prove the Will is hers without finding everyone that signed?? What happens if we can't find anyone who has signed the will??
Any other suggestions are welcome....thank you.

Jerry LoweWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

curb1

It is not necessary to find those who signed the will, or the notary. Why is it "not self proving" if it was witnessed and notarized?.

Last edited:

TrustUser

i wasnt sure what was meant by self-proving.

according to the following,

Self Proving Will Law & Legal Definition

it simply means that a notary signed an affidavit stating that the will was properly signed and witnessed.

it seems to me that your will is actually notarized, from your description. i wouldnt think it would be necessary for the notary to still be active.

you have a notarized will. unless it can be proven otherwise, i would think that the will is valid, just as it is.

remember that the notary's job is to verify the signatures of who is signing. they also can not notarize the will, if it is obvious that the testator is being forced, or does not seem to understand what he is doing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">