• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not divorced yet, husband dies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rlking

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oklahoma I had been in a divorce battle with my husband for over 2 yrs. He died a month ago and I have been made reprsetive of the estate. My question is what am I entiled too? The property was in survivorship. The vehicles in husband name and also checking account, We have put this matter in probate as husband had no will. We have 6 children. What if anything goes automatically to me? I get diff answers even from lawyers, who am I to trust?

S

seniorjudge

rlking said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oklahoma I had been in a divorce battle with my husband for over 2 yrs. He died a month ago and I have been made reprsetive of the estate. My question is what am I entiled too? The property was in survivorship. The vehicles in husband name and also checking account, We have put this matter in probate as husband had no will. We have 6 children. What if anything goes automatically to me? I get diff answers even from lawyers, who am I to trust?
http://www.finance.cch.com/pops/c50s10d190_OK.asp

Oklahoma Intestate Succession Laws

If any part of an Oklahoma decedent's estate is not effectively disposed of by will, the intestate share will be distributed in the following order and manner:

1. Surviving spouse. A surviving spouse is generally first in line to get any assets from the intestate estate. However, the amount a surviving spouse is entitled to varies as follows:

* In any case, the surviving spouse is entitled to complete ownership of a car owned by the decedent. If the decedent owned more than one car, the surviving spouse has first choice as to which one to pick.
* If there is no surviving issue (i.e., lineal descendant like a child), parent, or sibling of decedent, the surviving spouse is entitled to the entire intestate estate.
* If there is no surviving issue, but the decedent is survived by a parent or sibling, the surviving spouse is entitled to all the property acquired by the joint industry of the spouses during their marriage, plus an undivided one-third interest in the remaining intestate estate.
* If there are surviving issue, all of whom are also issue of the surviving spouse, the surviving spouse is entitled to an undivided one-half interest in all the intestate property (however acquired).
* If there are surviving issue, one or more of whom are not also issue of the surviving spouse, the surviving spouse is entitled to an undivided one-half interest in the property acquired by the joint industry of the spouses during their marriage, plus an undivided equal part in the intestate estate not acquired jointly divided with each of decedent's living children and the lawful issue of any deceased child by right of representation.

As referred to above and later on, taking by right of representation involves dividing the estate into as many equal shares as there are surviving heirs in the nearest degree of kinship and deceased persons in the same degree who left issue that survived the decedent. Each surviving heir in the nearest degree receives one equal share. A deceased person in the same degree (e.g. a dead brother) also gets an equal share, except that it is split equally among the deceased's issue.

2. Heirs other than surviving spouse. Any part of the intestate estate not passing to the surviving spouse as indicated above, or the entire intestate estate if there is no surviving spouse, passes as follows to the decedent's:

1. Surviving children and issue of any deceased child by right of representation.
2. Parent or parents equally.
3. Parents' issue by right of representation.
4. Grandparents or issue of grandparents. Half of the estate passes to the paternal grandparents if both survive, or to the surviving paternal grandparent or to the issue of the paternal grandparents if both are deceased. Such issue take equally if they are all of the same degree of kinship to the decedent and, if of unequal degree those of more remote degree take by representation. The other half passes to the maternal relatives in the same manner. If there is no surviving grandparent or issue of grandparent on either the paternal or maternal side, the entire estate passes to the relatives on the other side in the same manner as the half.
5. Next of kin in equal degree.

3. State of Oklahoma. If there is no taker under any of the above provisions, the intestate estate passes to the state of Oklahoma for the support of common schools.

Oklahoma Intestate Succession Law Fun Facts

* Posthumous children are considered as living at the time of their parents' death.
* Evildoers beware! Any person who is convicted of first or second degree murder or first degree manslaughter, or otherwise is an accessory to murdering the decedent cannot inherit any of decedent's property. Instead, such property descends the next available heirs in line.
* Oklahoma's intestate succession laws, as well as other related laws, can be found in Title 84 of the Oklahoma Statutes.

Copyright 2002 - 2005, CCH Tax and Accounting - A WoltersKluwer Company. All Rights Reserved.

BelizeBreeze

rlking said:
Has anything been settled in the divorce action, such as a property settlement?

S

seniorjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
Has anything been settled in the divorce action, such as a property settlement?
I understood that the divorce had not gone through; thus, any settlements done in that lawsuit would be irrelevant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">