• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notarizing will in state other than home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swarocks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ
My grandfather is a resident of AZ and has been in FL visiting me for the past 2 months and may be here another month or so. He is 90 and not in great health so we got a will done here. It still has to be witnessed and notarized though. Will it be valid with a FL notary even though AZ is his home state and where he will return to?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ
My grandfather is a resident of AZ and has been in FL visiting me for the past 2 months and may be here another month or so. He is 90 and not in great health so we got a will done here. It still has to be witnessed and notarized though. Will it be valid with a FL notary even though AZ is his home state and where he will return to?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: yes it would be.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A notary's seal/stamp only confirms your grandfather's identity as the signatory; it does not affect the document itself. It's good everywhere.

anteater

Just to be picky...

The will itself does not need to be notarized. It is the witness signatures that make a difference. And it isn't actually required that they be notarized in order to have a validly executed will.

But, notarization will make the will self-proving, which can make life much easier (in some states, much, much easier) for the personal representative to get the will admitted.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">