• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

obtaining info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

geriberi2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california.
After my father passed in december, my sister(1 of the executors) went to the bank to get info on his accounst. He had put his girlfriend/caregivers name on account. As soon as he passed, she quickly removed his name from account. The bank would not giver her any info because they said he no longer had an account at that bank. The account was still open, but only girlfriend/caregivers name appeared on it. what can we do? dont they legally have to give info to executors(with court papers showing executors, and death certificate), info?

thank,

curb1

I would sit in their office until they gave an accurate account of exactly what happened, and why. How was the account titled previous to death? Was it titled as a POD account with your fathers approval?

Farfalla

Send a letter to bank asking for the balance and ownership information as of the date of his death. His name was still on the account on that date. It might be best to have this letter send by the attorney.

TrustUser

would a bank normally need to give this information ?

if the girlfriend was put on the account as any sort of joint tenant, or rights of survivorship, it would seem to me that it would be illegal for the bank to give info out to someone else.

remember, an executor is someone who manages the estate. a trustee is someone who manages a trust. for either person to have any sort of jurisdiction over an asset, said asset would need to be owned by the estate or trust.

if this girlfriend was placed on the account, it more than likely was not a part of his estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">