• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Office Depot Wills (valid?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FLMommy

What is the name of your state? Florida

My husband's will dates from when he was in the military and wasn't married to me and had no kids... I've never filled one out. It's time for him to update his will and for me to get one period, especially now we have a child.

The ones that you can get at Office Depot, are they valid ones/will they hold up in court if ever disputed? Do they still need to be notarized or something?

Feedback please! Thanks!

seniorjudge

FLMommy said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

My husband's will dates from when he was in the military and wasn't married to me and had no kids... I've never filled one out. It's time for him to update his will and for me to get one period, especially now we have a child.

The ones that you can get at Office Depot, are they valid ones/will they hold up in court if ever disputed? Do they still need to be notarized or something?

Feedback please! Thanks!
Q: The ones that you can get at Office Depot, are they valid ones/will they hold up in court if ever disputed? Do they still need to be notarized or something?

A: Would you go to Office Depot for medical advice?

divgradcurl

In addition to SJ's insightful response, an Office Depot will, or any other will, may be valid if it is executed (signed) in conformance with the formalities of your state -- this will usually require that the signing of the will be witnessed by 2 or more witnesses. Your "will kit" should include the necessary information on the proper formalities -- as long as the proper formalities are followed, the will should be valid.

Of course, whether or not your will actually covers what you think it covers, well, that's another question altogether, and is the subject of SJ's response...

Dandy Don

Use that will as a rough draft to help you figure out what you want, but it is essential that you have your will and your husband's will reviewed by a probate attorney to make sure there are no costly errors in terminology or errors of omission, and that shouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars if the assets are fairly simple.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">