• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oil Rights from Deceased Father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

punkindoo

What is the name of your state? Mississippi
My Father commited sucide 24 hours before the divorce was final between my natural mother and himself. As she was technicaly a widow, she got half of what was then very little, SS benifits on herself and me. i was raised by my grandparents who never ask for a dime. This was aprox. 40 years ago. Although i did find a legal looking sleeve with the Last will and Testiment of his name, the will was removed and has never been found.
My mother remarried apox. 2 years after the death of my father. Then they discovered oil on my father's family estate. My mother collected half of these oil rights for years now. She has been remarried 3 times. I found out that after years of legal battles there is another plot of land that will be deemed as part of the estate. Will my mother also get half of the rights to this section also even after being remarried several times? Is she still considered his widow?
I have paid the taxes on my fathers part of the estate from 1993. My mother refuses to pay even her part. Any recourse on that?

Reguards,
RW

BelizeBreeze

you would need a copy of the divorce and property settlement AND the services of a competent attorney to review the case. You MAY have an avenue to have the land considered non-marital property if the property settlement allows for specific division of assets, but that is only a guess based solely on the facts of your post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">