• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oil Royalties Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kstaple

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My grandmother passed in 2009. She was last surviving and had no relations at the time of her passing. She had 3 daughters, 2 living, 1 passed (my mother), at the time of her death.

I believe there to be no will. No probate was ever filed with the county that she passed in. Her estate was small with some debt, a small life insurance, and oil royalties.

The question that has been brought to me about her oil royalties. As the 2 living daughters have gotten the royalties split between them. I was being told by a friend that my mother was entitled to part the royalties as her estate is considered intestate due to no will.
That A grandchild or great grandchild cannot inherit from the estate of an intestate person unless their parent or grandparent has died before the intestate person. The grandchildren and great grandchildren will inherit equal shares of the share to which their parent or grandparent would have been entitled.
So the question I'm trying to figure out is, if me and my brother would be entitled to 1/3 of our grandmothers royalties? Or finding out what our rights are or how to go about it. What to do next?

Thank you in advance your all your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">