• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oil royalty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shanay2009

Hello I'm 24 years old. My grandfather owned land that bp is drilling on. My father died before my grandfather. When my grandfather died his children inherited the land..His children got checks except for me. I should be entitled right?

adjusterjack

Hello I'm 24 years old. My grandfather owned land that bp is drilling on. My father died before my grandfather. When my grandfather died his children inherited the land..His children got checks except for me. I should be entitled right?
Not necessarily.

But the place to start is to find out if your grandfather had a will and if the will was probated or if the estate was probated under intestacy. You can go to the probate court in the county where he lived/died and look for a probate file. If there is one it'll tell you how is estate was probated and distributed.

Once you've done that come back and resurrect this thread if you need any more discussion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">