• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old Unclaimed Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trusteejan

Washington.
I am trustee for my parents trust. They both died in 1989 and all their assets were distributed according to their trust. The final tax return for the trust was filed for the year 1992, if I remember correctly. In 2006 I became aware of unclaimed property in the state of California in the amount of $1300. I made a claim with the state requesting the money be sent to me. The state said that because the trust was closed, they would have to send the money to each of the beneficiaries according to the trust. I never received any compensation for administering the trust and would like to receive the money. Is it possible to reopen the trust so that the money could be sent directly to me? I'm not even sure how to get ahold of some of the beneficiaries.
Thanks for any help.

Dandy Don

If you never received compensation for administering the trust, that is your own fault. Even if you were executor of the estate, the check for this unclaimed money would be issued to you as executor and then you would legally have to distribute the monies to the heirs, so the unclaimed property office is doing the correct thing. Any private investigator could do the search to locate the beneficiaries current address.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">