• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Older Brother Refuses to Pay for Tuition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CSEconMajor

My father passed away while I was in my 1st year of college. We had agreed that I would go / he would pay for it. He paid for both of my siblings schooling through PHd.

He didn't have a will, my brother stepped in while my father was on morphine (I have witnesses) and created a will that split the funds between himself and me excluding our sister.

My sister is not challenging. It has been 2.5 years. My brother refuses to pay for my tuition. He said for the 1st year that the trust didn't have the money, and didn't give an accounting until 1.5 years later.

He finally gave an accounting stating that I had a little under 300k in the trust.

He paid 1 year tuition. He paid out 1/3 as stated by the trust on my 21st birthday.

He refuses to invest the trust in any way which I complained means that it will be losing value over time.

He says: " As I understand it, the terms of your trust are that you receive: one third at 21; one third at 25; and one third at 30. You just received 100K so it's up to you to pay your bills until you're 25 from that first third."

From my understanding the trust stated that it should be used to pay for education, housing, medical etc yet my brother does everything in his power to avoid doing so. I argue that:
"The trust is supposed to pay for education, living expenses (housing), medical etc. It does not imply that I need to burn down all of my funds to be covered. If it did require that, it would create a negative incentive for me (ex I could blow money, which I wouldn't do)."

What can I do? Yes I received 90k on my 21'st birthday. I have been responsible with it but I have expenses that I know my brother would never help me with if my funds dwindled like medical and housing. My brother promised my father to take care of me etc yet he has left me homeless etc. I have worked every year to take care of myself and all of my expenses. I don't think what he's doing is legal. What can I do? If I were to become hospitalized he would not step in and pay for it, he would make me spend every cent I had to my name and take out loans before he would pay. If he even would....

I'm paying for everything but tuition, all I want is that covered which the trust clearly states it should. But of course it's to the trustee's discretion. But the trustee created the trust on shaky ground.

Proserpina

My father passed away while I was in my 1st year of college. We had agreed that I would go / he would pay for it. He paid for both of my siblings schooling through PHd.

He didn't have a will, my brother stepped in while my father was on morphine (I have witnesses) and created a will that split the funds between himself and me excluding our sister.

My sister is not challenging. It has been 2.5 years. My brother refuses to pay for my tuition. He said for the 1st year that the trust didn't have the money, and didn't give an accounting until 1.5 years later.

He finally gave an accounting stating that I had a little under 300k in the trust.

He paid 1 year tuition. He paid out 1/3 as stated by the trust on my 21st birthday.

He refuses to invest the trust in any way which I complained means that it will be losing value over time.

He says: " As I understand it, the terms of your trust are that you receive: one third at 21; one third at 25; and one third at 30. You just received 100K so it's up to you to pay your bills until you're 25 from that first third."

From my understanding the trust stated that it should be used to pay for education, housing, medical etc yet my brother does everything in his power to avoid doing so. I argue that:
"The trust is supposed to pay for education, living expenses (housing), medical etc. It does not imply that I need to burn down all of my funds to be covered. If it did require that, it would create a negative incentive for me (ex I could blow money, which I wouldn't do)."

What can I do? Yes I received 90k on my 21'st birthday. I have been responsible with it but I have expenses that I know my brother would never help me with if my funds dwindled like medical and housing. My brother promised my father to take care of me etc yet he has left me homeless etc. I have worked every year to take care of myself and all of my expenses. I don't think what he's doing is legal. What can I do? If I were to become hospitalized he would not step in and pay for it, he would make me spend every cent I had to my name and take out loans before he would pay. If he even would....

I'm paying for everything but tuition, all I want is that covered which the trust clearly states it should. But of course it's to the trustee's discretion. But the trustee created the trust on shaky ground.

You would need to have an attorney investigate for you. We cannot see the document, nor are we privy to the whys and wherefores .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">