• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

online wills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catdog23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN
are the wills you find online (free) legit?

i would like to have a will in place ....thanks

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN
are the wills you find online (free) legit?

i would like to have a will in place ....thanks
If you don't care what happens to your stuff, use an online will.

If you do care, then hire an experienced lawyer.

curb1

seniorjudge,
Your comments aren't necessarily true. It depends on the situation for each person. Often an online will is not any different than a boilerplate will dished out by an attorney. Some people have a good grasp of their situation and can do fine with a basic will. A person can care about their "stuff" and still use an online will. There have been many people who "care" about their "stuff" and have been "hosed" by an attorney.

seniorjudge

seniorjudge,
Your comments aren't necessarily true. It depends on the situation for each person. Often an online will is not any different than a boilerplate will dished out by an attorney. Some people have a good grasp of their situation and can do fine with a basic will. A person can care about their "stuff" and still use an online will. There have been many people who "care" about their "stuff" and have been "hosed" by an attorney.
You are absolutely correct.

What was I thinking?

I was speaking merely as a judge with several decades of experience (mostly in probate).

I should send back all my paychecks.

curb1

You said, "I should send back all my paychecks."

That would be a terrific gesture on your part.

The question by the OP was, "are the wills you find online (free) legit?" You did not answer the question seniorjudge. How many times have I heard a judge say, "just answer the question". In many cases (probably most) the online wills are "legit". The wills may, or may not, be appropriate for each person, however.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">