• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

opening Trust Bank Account After Trustee passed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Caani

What is the name of your state? California

My mother hurriedly created a Revocable Living Trust prior to her surgery. She took care of many accounts and her deed to the condo. What she didn't have time to do prior to crossing over, or she didn't know that she should do, was open a bank account in the name of the living trust. I am the executor of the will and the successor trustee of her trust. She has checks coming in payable to the living trust, but she has no account to negotiate the checks. She does have some personal accounts. Can I open an account in the name of the trust? should I go to a commercial bank or a credit union? Any pointers, tips. Thanks in advance for any information you can offer.

T

taxlady@pacbell

Bank Accounts

You might have to go to court to receive the court order as representative. What you might possibly be able to do, is to take the trust agreement, the checks, etc to a local well named bank. In California we have had a lot of cooperation from Bank of America. See if they can help you to set up actually the "estate" account. You will probably also have to apply to IRS for a tax id # and then there will tax returns for the "Trust". But check with the bank first and go to the manager of the branch, not just the new account section. Otherwise, you need to contact an Attorney that specializes in estates and trusts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">