• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

opening a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

045268b

my father recently passed away and his common-law-wife is in advanced stage of alzheimers and signed power of attorney over to her daughter, who is in no relation to me or my father, and has refused to allow his will to be read. How do i get it opened?

ALawyer

You seek to have yourself appointed Personal Representative of the Estate as if there was no Will. As a child YOU and your siblings would inherit -- not the common law wife (unless they were legally married, and in some states a common law marriage is recognized as a valid marriage). You would name the common law wife and perhaps her daughter, and you'd better believe that is there was a VALID Will that was favorable to them, the daughter would rush into court with it to prevent you from getting anything.

BUT as this is potentially a tricky matter you really need to GET A LAWYER BEFORE EVERYTHING IS JUST TAKEN AND GONE.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">