• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

our house part of mom's estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bubbamc

Mom lives in California. 2 years ago she cosigned on an fha mortgage to help me by a house. she wants to make sure my house does not get made part of her estate when she dies. what is the best way to achieve this without refinancing to remove her from the mortgage, as i cannot qualify without her?

L

loku

Mortgage different than title

The mortgage and the title to the house are two different things. If your mother’s name is on the mortgage as a co-signer, but not on the deed to the house, then the house will not be included in her estate. However, the estate might be liable for the mortgage debt to the same extent your mother is. However, as long as you keep up the payments, that should not matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">