• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parent died intestate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JJLewis04

What is the name of your state? Alabama

My dad passed away in 1993 without a Will. He had 3 other children from a previous marriage, married my mother and had 2 more children. He and my mother were still married at the time of his death. We are now getting ready to divide the land between the 5 children and my mother. What is the law on how the land is divided when someone dies intestate.

BelizeBreeze

Unless this case is in Probate YOU and the other children are not going to divide anything. Intestate requires probate.
As for the land, how was it deeded (EXACTLY)?

JJLewis04

State of Alabama

Why must it be in Probate? The land was originally deeded to my father and my mother, just a regular warranty deed.

BelizeBreeze

Because there is a little thing call Probate law and the rights of succession. Listen, if you want an answer then listen, or hire an attorney to wade through this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">