• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent lives in different state - not sure of heirship laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lagirl3569

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana / Virginia

Hello ~ this is the second of two posts I have about estates and wills.

I live in Louisiana where we have forced heirship for estates. My mother lives in Virginia and I have not been able to find any information on their heirship laws. I am an only child, she has no spouse. We have a rocky relationship (she was abusive when I was a child and young adult, so I have kept my distance although I do put the olive branch out there every now and again). I do not know if she has a will or what any of her plans are for when she passes - she is not in very good health, lots of heart problems, but when I do speak with her I get the feeling she is in denial about her own mortality, so I don't think she has anything planned out. If she passes in Virginia without a will, what would happen to her estate? I don't think it is very big, she does own a house, but I think that is the only asset she may have. Would I as the next of kin be responsible for selling this house? Thank you for any input.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana / Virginia

Hello ~ this is the second of two posts I have about estates and wills.

I live in Louisiana where we have forced heirship for estates. My mother lives in Virginia and I have not been able to find any information on their heirship laws. I am an only child, she has no spouse. We have a rocky relationship (she was abusive when I was a child and young adult, so I have kept my distance although I do put the olive branch out there every now and again). I do not know if she has a will or what any of her plans are for when she passes - she is not in very good health, lots of heart problems, but when I do speak with her I get the feeling she is in denial about her own mortality, so I don't think she has anything planned out. If she passes in Virginia without a will, what would happen to her estate? I don't think it is very big, she does own a house, but I think that is the only asset she may have. Would I as the next of kin be responsible for selling this house? Thank you for any input.
http://www.courts.state.va.us/courts/circuit/resources/probate_in_virginia.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">