• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent in Permanent Coma - What Happens to Estate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sunshine_Writer

What is the name of your state? Indiana

What happens to the estate (real estate, real property) and children if 1) a parent suffers a coma, from an accident, that is determined to be permanent, 2) she has minor children who have been living with the man who was her boyfriend for a couple of years at the time of her accident, 3) she has no siblings or other relatives to care for the children, and 4) she had no will or trust?

Does the estate get put in a trust for the children? Can the boyfriend get custody of the children?

Thanks.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? Indiana

What happens to the estate (real estate, real property) and children if 1) a parent suffers a coma, from an accident, that is determined to be permanent, 2) she has minor children who have been living with the man who was her boyfriend for a couple of years at the time of her accident, 3) she has no siblings or other relatives to care for the children, and 4) she had no will or trust?

Does the estate get put in a trust for the children? Can the boyfriend get custody of the children?

Thanks.
I can only speak to the custody issues. The boyfriend will not/cannot get custody. The child/ren's FATHER/S get custody; if not him/them, then their blood relatives.

Sunshine_Writer

Thank you all for your responses. Yes, I am researching for a book.

I have worked directly with abused children for nearly a decade, and I am writing a fictional narrative to tell their collective story. Yet, I also need a good dramatic main plot to base everything around, and I'm trying to figure out how a land developer could attempt to obtain land from a family when the mother is in a coma (persistent vegetative state?) and no known blood relatives of the children are around. My goal is to somehow make the sibling main characters in high demand among the antagonists and supporting protagonists, creating forces of good and evil pulling at them in various ways -- not unlike how abused children are treated in real life as chattel to be exploited.

Maybe I'll have to just drop this premise and work out something else ...

Silverplum

We (or most of us, anyway) don't *do* book plots. Somehow, we never get any royalties. :rolleyes: :p

You're welcome to read around and learn, of course. :)

I have worked directly with abused children for nearly a decade, and I am writing a fictional narrative to tell their collective story. Yet, I also need a good dramatic main plot to base everything around, and I'm trying to figure out how a land developer could attempt to obtain land from a family when the mother is in a coma (persistent vegetative state?) and no known blood relatives of the children are around. My goal is to somehow make the sibling main characters in high demand among the antagonists and supporting protagonists, creating forces of good and evil pulling at them in various ways -- not unlike how abused children are treated in real life as chattel to be exploited.

xylene

Not a bad idea.

As long as it doesn't end with the parent 'waking up'.

I would suggest interviewing a doctor or two about this topic, and why the persistent coma thing made me chuckle.

Coma is a abused hollywood cliche. The person lying in 'suspended animation' to wake up (maybe needing rehab)

Your are trying to tell a pretty gritty story.

If you are going to go the incapcitated person route, don't bail out. Mom's isn't going to be silent angel in the hospital after a head injury.

Think more 70% not there, and the few cognate centers that are left are mostly animalistic; violent and pained, screaming. The reptile brain. With intermittent fecal incontinence. No recovery.

Consider visiting a head trauma ward in a nursing home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">