• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passing private information after my death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wind catcher

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I have created a Trust and a Will, but I am wondering if there is a way I can pass some private information to my heirs if I should die unexpectedly. It’s the kind of information that I would rather keep to myself unless something happens to me. What’s the best way to set that up?

justalayman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I have created a Trust and a Will, but I am wondering if there is a way I can pass some private information to my heirs if I should die unexpectedly. It’s the kind of information that I would rather keep to myself unless something happens to me. What’s the best way to set that up?
do you have an attorney? If so, write a letter to the folks you want to tell and leave them with the attorney to be delivered upon your death.

las365

It depends on how dramatic you want to be and how much you trust your heirs. You could give one or each of them a sealed envelope to be opened in the event of your untimely death. That would, of course, create much curiosity and a perhaps unbearable temptation.

You could put the information in a safe deposit box and give a key to one of them with instructions to open it after your death.

You could always just tell them the truth now, whatever it is.

wind catcher

Thank you so much for your responses.
I found that it is inconvenient using an attorney every time I update my private documents.

A safe deposit box is not a good option too, because my heirs need to remember where it is and someone from them can access it earlier than others. I even don't want my heirs to know to whom I am passing my private information.

justalayman

then get a safety deposit box and write the location of the box in your will or some final statement. Leave a key with your attorney. That way you can change what is in the box at any time and yet able to notify others of the box and access to the box.

If you don;t want to leave the key with the attorney, hide the key under a rock near a tree by the stream and leave those directions in a sealed letter attached to your will.

You seem to be a bit on the overly dramatic side of things here.

anteater

Actually, you could probably save a bundle in legal fees by using an online service like igoodbye.com. I use it to store all my usernames and passwords for my family business. I don't think Windcatcher is being overly dramatic. I agree, a sealed envelope is way too much temptation for the people involved. Computer encryption works a helluva lot better.
Say goodbye, John. Didn't think that anybody would check "wind catcher's" prior posts, did ya?

Wink
when to give personal information to trusted loved ones

I found a good service to avoid being robbed by my daughters when I will be dying. I am hesitant to prematurely give account passwords or special instructions or details about my assets to my daughters before my death. iGoodbye.com distributes the information I designate to recipients only after they have verified a death certificate with the local authorities.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=1880719#post1880719

tranquility

Research "pretty good privacy" on the internet. Give the persons you want to know the public key and distribute the information on death.

justalayman

I see. It seems windcatcher, and very possibly John Sumner went to this extended ruse simply to advertise some web service.

Well, to that I say; what makes you think that webservice will be around when you die. Depending on a faceless enterprise with no brick and mortar is not real bright, in my book. What are you going to do if you die and your heirs discover the web service has dissappeared. What is to prevent that web service from using the keys and passwords themselves?

Sorry folks. I may be a bit paranoid but I believe there have been enough scams on the internet to justify my suspicions to an extent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">