• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying for college

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

feetsdr

My dad wants to pay my son's college bill to help lower his estate. Paying the school directly would allow him to lower his estate and not be considered a gift, right?

But only for tuition? room, board and loads of other fees don't count?

Can he just make a lump sum now for several years tuition 'on account'. Would he have to / want to say 'this is for tuition only for the next 3 years' and I would still have to pay the other expenses even though the account would be running a credit?

does the 'gifting in anticipation of death' rule come into play on this? or just gifts to people? and is that 3 years retro or longer?

thanks!

anteater

I'll only go so far here since there are some of your questions upon which I am hazy.

I think the first question would be:

Does your father have an estate large enough that "estate reduction" is even a concern? A lot of folks think that they have a potential "estate tax problem" when they really don't. And, honestly, if they really do have a potential problem, they really can afford an estate planning or tax professional to work through these things.

Yes, direct payment of tuition falls outside the whole gift tax thing. And I am pretty certain that it only applies to tuition. I am not really certain about the prepayment question. My inclination is to say that it would not be allowed, but I will leave that to some of the tax professionals here who, I hope, will chime in.

Since the direct payment of tuition falls outside the gift tax rules, one suggestion to look at might be direct tuition payment + creation of a 529 for other higher ed expenses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">