• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying Dads bills with DPOA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BrotherSister

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California My sister has DPOA with all the needed bells and whistles.Our dad is currently in hospital and not coherant for unknown length of time.How do we proceed to pay his rent,phone,cable, for him until doctors tell anything different. Please help my sis and I make this take as little effort as possible,we need to pay these soon.Sis already is attached to accounts not sure what to have ready or what will be asked of us when we pay these.

Kiawah

The hardest part is getting access and visibility to the bills, so you know who and what to pay. If the bills are going to his apartment, and you are in his apartment, then just pay the bills.

If working remote, then at a minimum you need to know the company and account number of the bills, who you contact, fax/send POA, and then they'll tell you how much is owed on the account and you can pay then.

I've been doing POA's for years, and I change the address and have the bills all sent to my address, but this usually takes a billing cycle or two before fully implemented across all of the companies.

Some companies and banking/investment and credit card companies may request their own specific forms filled out, some of those may require notarization of your signature.

But in the interium, almost all companies will accept a check to pay a charge on any account, assuming you can give them the account number to credit. Just call each company, they'll tell you what they'll need.

anteater

Sis already is attached to accounts...
What does this mean? Dad already made her a co-owner? Dad already gave her signature authority? If that is the case, she can already write and sign any checks.

But she still should take the DPOA to the bank so that they have it on file. Banks are notoriously squeamish about accepting POA's and often want their own forms completed. Better to find that out now rather than in an emergency situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">