• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

55relic

Texas, My grandmother died leaving behind an estate without a will. My mother has paid the taxes on land and a home for 8 years. Other child does not pay anything on taxes or help in the cost for the upkeep of the home. After paying taxes for so long is there anything that can be done to assume the estate?

nextwife

Texas, My grandmother died leaving behind an estate without a will. My mother has paid the taxes on land and a home for 8 years. Other child does not pay anything on taxes or help in the cost for the upkeep of the home. After paying taxes for so long is there anything that can be done to assume the estate?
Why was intestate probate never filed? How is the property titled?

Who has had USE of this estate property while nobody has been filing probate? Are they paying rent to the estate?

The property will be distributed in accordance with TX Intestate Probate statutes.

55relic

Procrastination. My mother was residing in California and the sibling in Texas. The forms will be completed and filed soon. So will she receive any benefit due to paying the taxes for the past 7-8 years? Thansk for your reply.

nextwife

Whoever paid the taxes should file a claim with the probate court in the estate.
I agree, but, conversely I also agree that whomever has been collecting the rent or using the home rent free may owe that back to the estate. I do think that the question of WHO has had use of the place is an important one.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">