• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payment of Creditors - who's responsible???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

INPA

In Pennsylvania, my husband recently passed away.

His ex-wife is deceased and he has 3 children (over 21) from his previous marraige.

He had investments and IRAs, as well as life insurance policies, that had listed beneficiaries and/or co-ownership.
Some in my name and some in his childrens.

There was no will, and he had 2 small accounts (total under 20,000) that will have to go to probate and be put in an estate account.

My question is that he had credit card debt in his name of approximately 40,000. I supposed 20,000 will come from that estate account.

Who is reposnsible for the remainder of the debt?

Thanks for any help.

ALawyer

That's a lot of credit card debt. Did he by chance have CREDIT LIFE INSURANCE on that balance? The credit card companies sell it and many people take it.

Better see a local lawyer and figure out if there is some way this can be dealt with without draining the estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">