+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Looking4 Guest
    maryland. mother passed away, with will, leaving all to me. she was 57,still working(36yrs)and had me as beneficiary on her pension. any legal method of avoiding taxes on the pension? everything else in estate is taken care of.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Several States
    There are lots of different kinds of pensions; if it were a defined benefit plan it likely would have been lost with her. With a defined contribution plan the money goes to her beneficiaries. As it was not taxed until now, the Government takes its share and when you take the money out it is taxed. The issue is how long can you hold it in the pension plan untaxed?

    I understand that there is legislation pending that could enable you to role over the pension into your own plan, untaxed, until you take it out starting not later than age 70.5.

    This is intended as general information only, NOT legal advice. You are not my client and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer I suggest you go to www.AttorneyPages.com.
  3. #3
    Looking4 Guest

    pension inheritance

    thank you for your very prompt reply. now I know what to ask the human resource folks at the company. thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Inheritance Question- Mother stealing my inheritance
    By mdmalibu22 in forum Wills, Trusts and Estate Planning
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-07-2010, 05:15 PM
  2. Withholding on pension inheritance
    By clay1 in forum Tax Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 06:29 PM
  3. inheritance tax from pension beneficiary
    By bsmit511 in forum Wills, Trusts and Estate Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2006, 10:09 AM
  4. pension fund inheritance
    By MPFelkel in forum Alimony & Spousal Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2002, 03:49 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2001, 02:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.