• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pension inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Looking4

maryland. mother passed away, with will, leaving all to me. she was 57,still working(36yrs)and had me as beneficiary on her pension. any legal method of avoiding taxes on the pension? everything else in estate is taken care of.

ALawyer

There are lots of different kinds of pensions; if it were a defined benefit plan it likely would have been lost with her. With a defined contribution plan the money goes to her beneficiaries. As it was not taxed until now, the Government takes its share and when you take the money out it is taxed. The issue is how long can you hold it in the pension plan untaxed?

I understand that there is legislation pending that could enable you to role over the pension into your own plan, untaxed, until you take it out starting not later than age 70.5.

L

Looking4

thank you for your very prompt reply. now I know what to ask the human resource folks at the company. thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">