• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

personal representative advised to leave funds in the bank

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sdp3501

indiana. im personal rep of granmothers estate which was opened in april. the only asset was her home in which she and my mother lived in. my mother was to inherit the home but signed a quit claim on it due to back taxes. i was named pr.
it was agreed by myself and my mother that she would loan me 1500.00 to use to fix my auto as the transmission is out.
i called my lawyer and he said i couldnt touch the money, advising my that if i did i would be personably responsible
if a claim was made against the estate and there wasnt enough money to cover it.
i will inherit the proceeds when the estate is closed and there are no claims to be made against it.
now my question...if i write a check to cover the auto repair with the permission of the family, is it illegal?
is it just a matter of someone coming out of the woodwork and making a claim against the estate?
thank you for your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">