• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please explain what "1/2" means.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stealth41

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I need a clearer understanding of the meaning of "1/2 of the estate".

I understood it to mean 1/2 of the estate between the husbund and the wife, but the lawyer my dad's wife hired to assist with the probate process told me it meant 1/2 of his part only. In other words because they were married 1/2 of everything they had was already hers. He said what the code of law meant was that she and I were to divide his 1/2 of the estate. Is this true?

JETX

On the VERY sketchy information provided in your post, the answer is yes.... maybe.

Example:
House owned by both husband and wife. Husband dies. Half of house already owned by wife. The other half is decedents estate. That half is then distributed as provided by will or intestate law.

Dandy Don

We are at a disadvantage on the message board because we cannot see exactly what the language is in the will that you are referring to. Maybe you should take the documents to another attorney in person if you want a second opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">