• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help Sister Won't Talk to Me About Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SammyJo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I apologize. I originally posted this in the probate section but I think it was the wrong section so I am reposting it here.

My mother recently passed away and I did not even have the opportunity to say good-bye as my sister did not bother to let me know. I found out when I received a copy of my mother's trust from the lawyer. My sister is trustee and won't reply to my letters. I do not believe she will send me the small amount my mother left me, as my sister made it a point to turn the family against me. How long does it take for a trust to settle and how can my sister be forced to send me the money my mother left me? I know she won't follow the trust as directed.

anteater

How long does it take for a trust to settle and how can my sister be forced to send me the money my mother left me?
Nobody can tell you how long it will take. It might be 6 months. It might be 6 years. The most anybody could say is, "it depends."

I know she won't follow the trust as directed.
You can't know that, except after the fact.

You can read about the trustee's duty to inform and report to beneficiaries at:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=prob&group=16001-17000&file=16060-16069

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">