• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please help: transfer of funds while keeping taxes to a minimum

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

victork

Person A ( company ) is buying a product / invention from Person B for 7 figures. Person B wants to gift Person C with the funds. How do they acheive this while keeping taxes to an absolute minimum on both ends?

Person B is in CA
Person C is in CO

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Person A ( company ) is buying a product / invention from Person B for 7 figures. Person B wants to gift Person C with the funds. How do they acheive this while keeping taxes to an absolute minimum on both ends?

Person B is in CA
Person C is in CO
They speak to a tax professional.

curb

There most likely wouldn't be any federal taxes involved for the gift. Just fill out IRS Form 709. If the gift will be less than $5.45 million there wouldn't be a federal gift tax. Person B could easily pay income taxes for selling to Person A.

justalayman

Of course trying to hide a sale and claim it was a gift is tax fraud. Given the general value being spoken of I suspect the irs would be quite aggressive in prosecuting the matter if/when it's discovered.

LdiJ

Of course trying to hide a sale and claim it was a gift is tax fraud. Given the general value being spoken of I suspect the irs would be quite aggressive in prosecuting the matter if/when it's discovered.
I agree. This is absolutely something that must be discussed with a tax professional, in detail. In addition, even if everything is on the up and up, there is income tax that will have to be paid on the original sale, therefore the entire amount should not be gifted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">