• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help !! Trust Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RBCC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

It is my understanding that if I leave the farmhouse , my dad's trust discredits me and I lose my share of the farm. I am planning on going to school in Wilsonville in three years , and I was wondering, If I am planning on staying in Portland for my classes (2-4 days a week) and coming back on weekends. Not knowing exactly what that means , would I lose my share of the farm if I went to school? Can the trustee sell the house for that reason? What are the legal ramifications if I do go out of the area for school?? John

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

It is my understanding that if I leave the farmhouse , my dad's trust discredits me and I lose my share of the farm. I am planning on going to school in Wilsonville in three years , and I was wondering, If I am planning on staying in Portland for my classes (2-4 days a week) and coming back on weekends. Not knowing exactly what that means , would I lose my share of the farm if I went to school? Can the trustee sell the house for that reason? What are the legal ramifications if I do go out of the area for school?? John
The only person that can help you with those questions is someone who can actually read the trust. You really need to get a consult with a local attorney.

LdiJ

I like LDiJ's answer but I'd first ask the trustee.
I thought of that, but I also thought that it would be a very unusual trust that would not allow someone to leave the family farm to go to school. Therefore I suspect that an independent opinion might be in order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">