• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please View....please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jon D

Dear Listener (whoever you may be),
Recently, my family has been feuding both verbally and violently over who we believe owns different sections of our house. We claim that we own our section and they own their section and they claim no way--they own the entire house. On paper, the entire house still belongs to my great grandmother and father but in actuality, it belongED to my great grand parents because, unfortunately for them (and us), they died without leaving behind a will. This was some thirty or so years ago. My great grand parents had six kids (or so called automatic heirs since there was no will) but only three of them are alive today. Unfortunately for us, the heir on my side of family is gone. The three that are still alive today are my great aunts. Two of these antagonist great aunts of mines moved away a long time ago--at least a decade or two. The remaining great Aunt, unfortunately again, never got along with my Mom's side of the family so over time, our house evolved into a two-family apartment complex complete even with a hallway and separate mailboxes. They stayed downstairs and we stayed upstairs, they pay gas & electric for their bottom half and we pay separately for our top half, we pay to maintain our half of the house and they do the same for theirs, they knock when they visit us and vice versa, problems that arise in the house as a whole (i.e. roof leaks, broken water pipes, blown fuses, etc.) are negotiated and the expenses divided in half. As time has passed, my side of the family has come to think of "our" part of the house as our very own and their part as "theirs". We own our part. However, the problem came up when the two sides of the family got into a little quarrel or so I would say. My great aunt, whose dead mother and father still have the title to the house, has summoned her two sisters (...from where ever they stay) and they are going to try to get the entire house (including the part that I occupy) placed in their name and when they do, they may try to kick us out. What are their chances of being able to do this legally? What will it cost them to take legal action? Does my side of the family have a chance considering we have lived in "our" part like it was our home for over 25 years? Should we initiate legal action or wait for them to strike first? I'd rather not strike first. We're broke dry. I live in Kentucky. Are there any federal or state laws that favor my position? I have heard of something like swatter's rights stating that because we have occupied and made use of our section of the house for so long, it automatically becomes our property but I'm just not sure. Finally, how much would all of this cost if it were to be settled legally (my family really doesn't want to go there)? Is there any way to cut costs?
As of now, the evil side of my family is teaming up into small forces to go against us. My great aunt and her two sisters (who i don't even recognize by face let alone call them aunty) said the other day that they were going to go through probate court to get the house placed in their name. If that happens, they will proceed to kick my side of the family out of the house based off of their newly found feelings towards us. What exactly is probate court, anyways? Exactly what are they going to go through because I only have the slightest idea (i did pass law in high school, by the way). Seriously though, this family feud has been tearing my side of the family apart. If you saw how the other side rallies against us, you would know for sure that we are the under dog of sorts. Please, I am nearly begging at knee level for advice, tips, suggestions, directions, predictions--you name it, I'll swallow it (just no arsenic). Anything because I do not want my family being homeless after all of this is said and done. By the way, I am only 17 so I'm being branded as "just a kid" without much clout to go by. However, it's kinda MY fault this situation even got this serious (me and my big mouth) so I got to do something. We have lived here for over 25 years! Please, any information would help.

Sincerely,

Jon D. (yes that is my real name)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">