• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POA Authority

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

johnmc29

What is the name of your state? SC

HELP!!!!
My step-father recently passed away. My step-brother's wife had been appointed power of attorney 8/2001. I was named trustee/personal representative in the will. However, my step-brother's wife signed over the deed to the house (only asset to the estate) to herself and my step-brother using her durable power of attorney. Is this legal? She did this 5 days before he died. This does not benefit him. Can she use the poa prior to filing it at the clerk of court?

Dandy Don

Your questions are a little bit complex and can only be answered by a business law attorney.

Was the home paid for completely or is there still a mortgage on it? Only a real estate attorney can tell you if she was legally authorized to do what she did.

Why do you say that what she did does not benefit the step-brother? What is the value of the home?

J

johnmc29

The house did have a mortgage. The purchase price $58,000. He paid $30,000 down. Payments only $200/month. I was referring to the transfer of the deed would not benefit my step-father.
Thanks,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">