• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POA-Feel like my aunt is "railroading" grandma-recent Alzheimers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Here is the situation. My aunt has power of attorney. My grandmother has been recently diagnosed with Alzheimers..when I say recently I mean this past Tuesday. My aunt has already cleaned out my grandmother's house, and has contacted three realtors. That was all within a matter of 4 days. My grandmother is staying with my aunt.

Her Alzheimers is only in its beginning stages. She only really has difficulty when you really give her a hard cognitive test. She remembers names, dates, phone numbers, etc. It is really hard to tell she has it if you are not looking for it.

I spoke with my grandmother in private today and videotaped it with my Iphone. My aunt did not make her at all aware that she was cleaning out her house and throwing away her belongings or putting her house on the market. It is broke my grandmothers heart to hear that. She had been in that house 60 years of her life, and she wants to die in that house. She wanted to get rid of my aunt and get an attorney, but she is stuck since she has no where else to go-her house is empty.

I feel as if my aunt is rushing through this process and doesn't have my grandmother's interests at heart. Yes, my aunt has POA. but my grandmother is still well aware of her surroundings and Alzheimers is not that bad. I still think my grandmother should have some input regarding her house/belongings. I just want to make sure my grandmother is happy. I feel like my aunt stabbed her in the back by making such large decisions without consulting her. Any assistance is appreciated.

Last edited:

anteater

You posted this before and I suspect the reason that there were no responses is that most potential responders feel that your grandmother is between the proverbial rock and a hard place. And that you are placing yourself right in the middle. That's not necessarily being critical of you. It's simply the place you are at.

As I see it, these are options:

1) Grandmother revokes her daughter's power of attorney - and quickly - if grandmother is competent.

2) You petition the Orphans' Court for guardianship/conservatorship - very quickly. But it is not at all clear whether a guardianship/conservatorship is actually necessary at this point or would be granted.

Last edited:
I will try to revoking the POA first.
How do you do that? All she has to do is sign a paper?
How do we get that certified that is her wishes?
Any assistance is appreciated. I do not think we have much time left.

anteater

Just to let you know... here is the problem I am having. There is entirely too much "I" in your posts. This has to be your grandmother's decision and her action.

Has your grandmother even talked to your aunt about this?

That said, there is no particular format prescribed for revocation. If it is urgent circumstances, your grandmother can tell your aunt that the aunt's power is revoked. And, if she knows the realtors, contact them to inform them that the aunt's power s revoked. (Whether an oral revocation will stand up if there is a legal tussle is open to question. But it should serve to make third parties hesitant to act.)

But then she needs to follow that up in writing to your aunt as absolutely soon as possible with copies going to anybody and any institution that your aunt may have dealing with on grandmother's behalf. While it is not absolutely necessary, it would be best to consult with an attorney for the written revocation.

Then, you can probably expect a [bleep]storm to erupt. If things get ugly, I certainly hope that you are prepared to help your grandmother.

My grandmother sort of made that decision yesterday when I spoke with her.
I got it on tape. She indicated she did not approve of my aunt's actions, and she wanted to get her own attorney. I think that would be enough evidence to revoke a POA. She clearly indicated this was going against my grandmother's wishes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">