• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POA Mistrusted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jboisvert

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I have a younger brother that was chosen as POA of my parents assets. My father passed away in 2004 and my mother continues to live on, but with severe altzeimers. My brother who lives in Texas, has spent over 3/4 of a million dollars from my parents' assets and continues to do so. My sister, who resides in Indiana, has gone to court to seek custody of my mother, who now resides in a home in Indiana. It was granted, but the funds to continue caring for our mother has been seriuosly depleated. My sister has receipts and checks from Merril Lynch (where my parents' account was) designating that my brother has spent an attrocious amount of money on watches, cars, electronic equipment etc. In January of 2008, he spent $68,000 in just that month. The home has given my sister a two weeks notice that my mother will be discharged since the monthly bills have not been paid by my brother. Neither she nor myself can afford those kind of bills, and we feel that he should be prosecuted or pay back the assets for the care of our mother or both. What can we do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dandy Don

This appears to be elderly financial abuse and/or abuse of power of attorney. Talk to a family law attorney or to the police to determine if charges should be filed against the brother.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I have a younger brother that was chosen as POA of my parents assets. My father passed away in 2004 and my mother continues to live on, but with severe altzeimers. My brother who lives in Texas, has spent over 3/4 of a million dollars from my parents' assets and continues to do so. My sister, who resides in Indiana, has gone to court to seek custody of my mother, who now resides in a home in Indiana. It was granted, but the funds to continue caring for our mother has been seriuosly depleated. My sister has receipts and checks from Merril Lynch (where my parents' account was) designating that my brother has spent an attrocious amount of money on watches, cars, electronic equipment etc. In January of 2008, he spent $68,000 in just that month. The home has given my sister a two weeks notice that my mother will be discharged since the monthly bills have not been paid by my brother. Neither she nor myself can afford those kind of bills, and we feel that he should be prosecuted or pay back the assets for the care of our mother or both. What can we do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
1. Please explain exactly what you mean by your sister being granted custody of your mother.

2. Have you checked the probate division of the courthouse for records in the county where your parents live/lived?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">