• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POD Beneficiary Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leftsatisfied

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

A close friend of mine passed away a few weeks ago. She had named me beneficiary of her bank account. I called the bank manager after my friend died and asked if everything was still up to date and asked if I was still the beneficiary. She put me on hold, came back on the line and said "yes, you are still the beneficiary and you will need to bring a death certificate and your ID to collect the funds". That was last week. Today I went to the bank with the death certificate and they informed me that I was not the beneficiary. They said that they could not provide me with any information regarding the account or accounts. To give a little back ground info, I had spoke to this bank manager several times before my friend passed and we knew eachother on a first name basis. My friend had not talked with her family in many years but I did discover that this bank manager is friends with my deceased friends family. How would I find out if the bank did something with the names after my friends death? What are my options now? I do not have any copies of POD paperwork. This has made me very upset simply because I feel that something shady is going on with no way to prove it. Please send advice as soon as you can. Thank you in advance.

anteater

Contact someone higher than the branch manager.

I have trouble imagining that a manager is going to jeopardize his/her job by fiddling with account documentation.

curb1

So exactly what did the "bank manager" say when you called him/her back and referred to your earlier conversation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">