• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POD CD inheritance tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlz

What is the name of your state?NJ
My Aunt left me a POD CD (60K) in the local bank. She passed several months ago and her will has been probated. Am I exposed to an inheritance tax with the state or federal GOV.? In her will she was to pay all taxes on her estate before distribution. Would a POD distribution be considered part of her estate? Thank you, Ed

S

seniorjudge

jlz said:
Would a POD distribution be considered part of her estate?
No.

Call the taxing authority in your state and ask them about the state taxes.

Dandy Don

If you already have or know a tax accountant or a CPA, that also might be an option, as well as checking your state's tax website.

S

seniorjudge

You're welcome. While you are at it, you might want to ask them if it is considered income (if your state has income tax). You might also want to ask a tax pro if this is considered income for federal purposes.

I don't even do my own (simple!?) income taxes so I don't know.

johnlf

POD- Indiana Law

Anyone know who pays inheritance tax on POD accounts in Indiana? If not specified in the will, does the estate pay it or the person listed as POD on the account pay it? There seems to be confusion about this and I find that no one really knows for sure....including attorneys. This type of account is exempt from probate, so it would seem that taxes should be paid separate from the estate since the reason it is set up as such is to avoid probate and give almost immediate access to funds. If it is taxed to the estate, then that would mean it is tax free to the person on the POD. That could be considered a loophole then to avoid paying taxes as well if the estate pays the tax. Seems that then it could be also considered income to the POD listed person and be taxed again? POD seems to be a very gray area. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Dandy Don

Better yet, post it on the TAX LAW Message Board. Whether there are any federal taxes depends on how much it's worth--no taxes if less than $2 million. Whether there are state taxes you will have to look into.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">