• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible to attain inheritance before age of 25?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whomp10

Hi, I am in California and am 18 years old. My grandmother passed almost 2 years ago, and left me 25% of her estate. Currently, my aunt controls all of my funds and i live with her. I was just wondering if it were at all possible to get control of these funds before i turn 25 (as i am led to believe was the age designated in the will).

In a related question, i would also like to know how my aunt was able to purchase my share of my grandmothers house from me without my consent, nor that of my parents. My aunt was given 50% of the estate in the will and bought the 25% given to my uncle (which required a substantial amount of negotiating from what I understand), and also purchased my share of the house. I was a minor at the time she purchased my share, but i still thought that either me or my parents would have to sign something (or at least be informed of the amount i "sold" my share for). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JETX

whomp10 said:
I was just wondering if it were at all possible to get control of these funds before i turn 25 (as i am led to believe was the age designated in the will).
Yep. You just have to get a court to agree that it should overrule the decedants will and issue an order as such.

In a related question, i would also like to know how my aunt was able to purchase my share of my grandmothers house from me without my consent, nor that of my parents.
To answer that question would require a complete review of the terms of the will, (apparent) trust and trustee rights.

I would suggest you take the will and your concerns to a locate probate attorney. He/she can review the terms and advise whether the purchase was proper or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">