• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it possible to request to see the will of a living parent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neckbeard

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

Hey, I'm sort of the low man on the totem pole in my family. I'm considerably younger than my siblings, and they (and my mother) have about zero respect for me. I have a strong suspicion I've been written out of my mother's will. I've requested that she show me the will, (I know, I'm not exactly son of the year, here) but she's refused. I know she's made changes to the will that dad had originally. She cryptically discussed talking to a lawyer about another family member's status in the will. To be honest, I'm wondering if she's had me declared incompetent or something. Is there any way I can make a legal request to see the will? I've done some searching on the Internet and not found anything. Also, my dad passed away several years ago, but I wasn't around at the time. (I didn't want anything to do with my family due to the lack of respect and animosity) I assume that everything passed to my mother as expected, and I was never contacted by my brother (the executor) at the time. Should I look up my dad's will in probate? If everything simply passed to my mother would it even have to see probate court?

curb1

1) There is a good chance that everything passed directly to your mother when your father died.

2) It is your mother's call whether she would like you to see her will. What would you do if you saw the will?

neckbeard

2) It is your mother's call whether she would like you to see her will. What would you do if you saw the will?
I'd probably break off contact if there are any stipulations or if I've been written out.

I doubt it would be worth challenging, although it might be fun to pee in their Wheaties.

Proserpina

I'd probably break off contact if there are any stipulations or if I've been written out.

I doubt it would be worth challenging, although it might be fun to pee in their Wheaties.

Q4P.

Such a love display of....gosh, I'm stricken by the inability to find just the right words.

Happy trolling ;)

Eekamouse

Don't expect to receive anything upon her death and you won't be disappointed. You seem kind of like you might be a jerk so it would be understandable if she leaves you nothing.

neckbeard

Well, I realize this is jerk behavior, but I wasn't always like this. It took me a long time to figure out how much my mother despised me. She had me late in life, and was pretty much done having kids by then. That's the whole reason why I'm suspicious now. Anyway, I'm in a situation where I can help her out now, (she's elderly) but there's not much point in doing it if there's no benefit in it to me. You see, she lives in an area where work is scarce, and if I were to relocate to somewhere else I'd have much better opportunities. My sister is close enough to come see about her, but she still lives about a half hour away. Anyway, if I knew for certain I'd get something when she passes away I'd have less motivation to relocate. I could stick around knowing that even though I wouldn't earn as much I'd still have something. If I'm not getting anything then I need to relocate to pay the bills.

Knowing what's in the will makes making these decisions much easier.

Last edited:

nextwife

If you go through life presuming your parents assets will only be enough to cover their late life living expenses and end of life care and burial, you will have no reason to fret over what their will might say, because it only matters if there is actually an estate left. I deal with a great many situautions in which the estates are insolvent, the real estate is upside down, and there IS a will, but there is NOT an inheritance.

Truthfully, if you are ONLY willing to maintain contact if there is an inheritance, you are better off moving on.

neckbeard

Don't stick around on her account. She'll be happy to see you go. Winners all around.
You've apparently never been the family whipping boy, so you're apparently unaware of how that feels. Especially when you know people are trying to leverage you out simply because they don't like you.

Anyway, there are no debts, the house is paid off, and there's some money in the bank. I handle some of her online banking for her, so I'm no thief. I'd assume if she ever had to go to a nursing home that most of the cash would go, but it's not really about that. It's about getting a piece of something you deserve.

proud_parent

You've apparently never been the family whipping boy, so you're apparently unaware of how that feels. Especially when you know people are trying to leverage you out simply because they don't like you.

Anyway, there are no debts, the house is paid off, and there's some money in the bank. I handle some of her online banking for her, so I'm no thief. I'd assume if she ever had to go to a nursing home that most of the cash would go, but it's not really about that. It's about getting a piece of something you deserve.
I'm hopeful that you will get exactly what you deserve.

neckbeard

I'm hopeful that you will get exactly what you deserve.
What, a mother that doesn't love me, and a family that can't stand me for reasons I can't fathom.

I haven't had this attitude until the last decade or so. It didn't develop independently of my family.

CSO286

Do you know who deserves a piece of your parents' estate?

Anyone they decide to give it to.

You don't automaticially deserve it simply because you happen to be their child.

neckbeard

Do you know who deserves a piece of your parents' estate?

Anyone they decide to give it to.

You don't automaticially deserve it simply because you happen to be their child.
Actually, there's a challenge system in place simply in case something like that does happen. In this case it probably wouldn't be worth the legal fees, but it might be worth it to ensure that the 'good' children don't make off with everything.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually, there's a challenge system in place simply in case something like that does happen. In this case it probably wouldn't be worth the legal fees, but it might be worth it to ensure that the 'good' children don't make off with everything.
Are you daft? Seriously?

A competent adult has no inherent obligation to leave ANYTHING to their children. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">