• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible theft by Fiduciary...... HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hootie7

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio

My Father died 1 year ago and a sibling was left as executrix of will and trustee of the trust fund. (we are in probate, although he had a trust fund...confusing to say the least) Some of us hired an attorney (at a costly price) to get to the bottom of our fathers funds and to locate some missing money. 2 large sum checks do not appear in any of his bank statements (trust or estate). One (1) was for wrongful death proceeds from his wife's death to him (after his death) from a law firm. The personal injury attorney involved with his accident case withheld a very large sum for a medicare subrogation lien, however the executor paid this lien to medicare out of the estate checking account. There is no deposit record in any of his accounts reflecting either of these dollar amounts. (1 check is for $100,000, the medicare lien was $63,499) This either means the personal injury attorney either refunded the money to executor or he paid the lien as well meaning medicare was paid twice. Quite frankly we don't know what has happenned to the money, even tho it could all be innocent and explainable. Here is the dilemma.....I am firmly convinced that receiving copies of these 2 cancelled checks by the two law firms would in fact prove or disprove what might have happenned to this money without having to go through a complete line item accounting searching for any wrongdoing and would save us a bundle of legal fees. Being appointted as a fiduciary by the court she would be bound by laws of the court. Is it smart to steer our attorney in the direction of getting these checks (to save costly legal fees) and if in fact it is found that this person deposited these funds into accounts not belonging to my father would this be a case for a state attorney or prosecuting attorney? This individual will not even send a full accounting to any of us or our attorney. We requested the full accounting in October of 2004 and are still waiting to receive it. I desperately am in need of an answer to this question. Someone PLEASE Help.

S

seniorjudge

hootie7 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio

My Father died 1 year ago and a sibling was left as executrix of will and trustee of the trust fund. (we are in probate, although he had a trust fund...confusing to say the least) Some of us hired an attorney (at a costly price) to get to the bottom of our fathers funds and to locate some missing money. 2 large sum checks do not appear in any of his bank statements (trust or estate). One (1) was for wrongful death proceeds from his wife's death to him (after his death) from a law firm. The personal injury attorney involved with his accident case withheld a very large sum for a medicare subrogation lien, however the executor paid this lien to medicare out of the estate checking account. There is no deposit record in any of his accounts reflecting either of these dollar amounts. (1 check is for $100,000, the medicare lien was $63,499) This either means the personal injury attorney either refunded the money to executor or he paid the lien as well meaning medicare was paid twice. Quite frankly we don't know what has happenned to the money, even tho it could all be innocent and explainable. Here is the dilemma.....I am firmly convinced that receiving copies of these 2 cancelled checks by the two law firms would in fact prove or disprove what might have happenned to this money without having to go through a complete line item accounting searching for any wrongdoing and would save us a bundle of legal fees. Being appointted as a fiduciary by the court she would be bound by laws of the court. Is it smart to steer our attorney in the direction of getting these checks (to save costly legal fees) and if in fact it is found that this person deposited these funds into accounts not belonging to my father would this be a case for a state attorney or prosecuting attorney? This individual will not even send a full accounting to any of us or our attorney. We requested the full accounting in October of 2004 and are still waiting to receive it. I desperately am in need of an answer to this question. Someone PLEASE Help.

Q: Is it smart to steer our attorney in the direction of getting these checks (to save costly legal fees)?

A: Smart? I would use the terms mandatory and urgent. Why have y'all been so dilatory?

Q: and if in fact it is found that this person deposited these funds into accounts not belonging to my father would this be a case for a state attorney or prosecuting attorney?

A: Possible.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Is the money missing from the trust or from the estate?

Are the trustee and the executor bonded?

How did you request the accounting--verbally (which is incorrect) or in writing? You also need to be checking with a trust attorney in your state to find out whether trust beneficiaries have a right to request an accounting--some states permit it, others do not.

Is it the personal injury attorney you are accusing of wrongdoing? Then consider filing an ethics complaint against him with the state bar association to have this matter investigated to see what his defense/explanation is, which might avoid legal fees for now.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Dandy Don

Getting the checks will tell only PART of the story, not the whole story, but it will be very revealing and might be the breakthrough you need to get the complete picture of what actually happened.

Also check with Medicare to find out for sure whether the lien was paid twice or not.

Find out from your attorney exactly what documentation you are entitled to as a beneficiary--otherwise you will need to file a lawsuit to get it.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">