• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tfoneal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I have been taking care of gentleman that lives next door for about 1 year now. About 3 months ago he decided to make me his Durable power of Attorney and beneficiary. He has no living family. My question is he starting to get alzheimer's. He has been getting worse. I have been having him bring his bills to me each month because he forgets to pay on time and has had his Utilities turned off. He has be come over and go over his mail. My question is he has a living trust that was set up by his Father. The problem is the local bank manages it for him. It is invested in stocks in the last year he has lost nearly 60 thousand dollars. He has allowed his life insurance to cancel. He won't allow me to reistate his medicare supplement. He is a very independant person so I want him to do for his self for as long as he can. I have tried to talk to him to cash in his stock in put it in a Savings/CD. He has about 100 thousand left. My concern is if at some point he would have to go in a nurseing home he is going to need as much of it as posibile. I don't think I could ever put him in one but you never no. My question is should I do it for him or just leave it alone. I don't know if legaly I can. He ask me to take him to bank to find out why he has lost this money but each time he say's O Well I can live on whats left. By next year there my not be anymore. I don't like to get involved with someone's money. But there come a time when he my need it. Help Please

curb1

Yes, he should be in CDs with varying dates of maturity. You need to talk with the bank to see what they require. They are probably charging an unreasonable fee to lose his money.

tfoneal

Yes, he should be in CDs with varying dates of maturity. You need to talk with the bank to see what they require. They are probably charging an unreasonable fee to lose his money.
I was wondering about me being in his will if there is anything left over if he were to pass I would lose my disability. I cannot afford to lose that. He is 84 years old and has no living kin. He will not allow any else to do it. He is a great friend and don't want anybody to take advange of him.My fiancea helps out with him also.I don't know how to handle this.Do I just allow the State to step in but I don't want them to throw him in a nurseing home.What are my options

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">