• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

power of attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Donald Beiner

new jersey.......my wife and i each have a general power of attorney naming the other as the power of attorney. if either of us is incapacitated or dies, the survivor has no pow.
i think the general pow should document that any of my children should act as pow if the situation arises as i have described.
can the existing documents be changed or should new ones be prepared?

ALawyer

NEVER change an exisiting signed and notarized document on the face of the documet as you risk voiding it.

Instead get new powers of attorney. You could each name the other spouse and also say in the event of the death or incapacity or unavailability of the other spouse then child A OR child b can act individually, BUT make sure that is in the original you sign and notarize.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">