• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

power of attorney abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Ms Unknown

My mother, while on her death bed, appointed her brother as her power of attorney to take care of her bills and ect. while she was in the hospital. During this time he also changed her life insurance policy from her daughters name to his name and had his personal attorney draw up a will while no other family was present. Is this legal? This happened 1 month before her death. I know she did not want that to happen. Her daughter is not a minor so is there anyway to fight this? This happened in the state of VA. I have tried to speak to a lawyer but it seems none of them want to take the case seriously. Do I have to get a lawyer where my mother died or had the will made? This is two different counties.

[Edited by Ms Unknown on 12-03-2000 at 06:51 PM]

ALawyer

I answered this already. Any VA lawyer can do it, but if there is not a bunch of money at stake many lawyers do not want the case, and if you will not be paying the fees as you go, lawyers will shy away. These can be hard cases.

M

Ms Unknown

power of attorney abuse reply

Thanks for yor replies and helpful advice. Sorry I wrote the same thing twice but I'm confused on how the attorney is supposed to fight the case and win the life insurance when it was not listed on the probate. It is a very large amount of money. Again thanks for all your help and I will being taking my uncle to court to see if this can't be resolved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">