• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

danandkay

My mother passed away in Wisconsin. My lawyer said her estate was so small that I didn't have to do anything. The only thing she had was an old car and a little furniture and approx $8,000 in bank. She had a will leaving everything to be distributed to her 4 children.
But I have had several people asking me about probate. Should I be doing something? Going back to lawyer? I didn't think I had to do anything but now am wondering.

A

advisor10

MAY 29, 2001

DEAR DANANDKAY:

Your lawyer was correct when he said that you don't HAVE TO probate this estate.

Please clarify what you mean when you said that "several people are asking you about probate". Who is asking you about this--are these just normal individuals with no interest in the estate or creditors/companies who have outstanding bills with your mother that need to be paid?

Who is taking care of paying your mother's bills, funeral expenses, taxes (if any), transferring title to the car and distributing the furniture?

These are all things that can be done without probate, but don't distribute any monies until all bills and taxes have been paid.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">