• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bjgrannie

My mother passed away last Mon. after being in a nursing home for 12 years and being on public aid the last 2 years.
We are in Illinois and in order to be on public aid you are allowed only $2000. There are no assets or property of any kind except for a $1000 life insurance policy that has a current death benefit of $2004.31. The bank balance is less than $1800. Funeral expenses are $2168.43. I am her daughter and executor of her estate. I have two brothers, one in Calif., who know there is nothing left. Does this have to go to probate and do I have to use a lawyer? Am I able to access her bank account and pay the funeral home?
It is a joint account in her and my name.

A

advisor10

JULY 5, 2001

DEAR BJG:

My condolences on the grief you are presently suffering.

The $1800 in the bank account you should be able to get directly from the bank since you are joint account owner--should be no trouble getting them to issue you a check for the full amount. You may want to use a half or a third of this to pay part of the funeral bill and save the rest to use for temporary expenses (filing the will for probate--if she had a will), and you can pay the rest of the funeral bill when the check for the life insurance comes in.

The life insurance check is not considered a part of the estate and does not have to be reported to the probate court.

Since it is possible your mother did not have a will, you really do need to speak with a local probate attorney on whether or not you have to file for probate. There may be an exception for someone with such a small estate value, and there may be a simplified, less expensive procedure to follow.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">