• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

careful2

my father passed away over a year ago. he had realestate property in ny. there are four children, who are all adults.
Before he passed away he was divorced from my mother only a couple of months prior. They were married over 30 years. who is entitled to that property if there is no will? and if my mother has any ownership, how does she transfer it all to the children? if she does not what does the children have to do have ownership to do as they wish.
:confused:

HomeGuru

1. if all the property were held in joint tenancy with mother, then mother owns the property provided the divorce decree did not state otherwise.

2. if not, then all the property is subject to probate. The Probate Court would have jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">