• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate / Creditor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JBoinker

My mother had passed away Dec 23rd 2000. We reside in NY
The will had gone into probate after her death, my mothers assets were next to nill, for she became very ill, lost her job - etc. The estate is still in probate, for my mother has an inheritance from her mother, which has not been settled yet (Sale of a house) which she is entitled to 1/4.

Well, 10 months have now passed and I recieve a claim letter from one of my mothers creditors, making a claim against her estate.

My question is - can they make a claim against her inheritance. and is there any time constrainsts for these claims to be made?
The claim isn't for alot of money its less than 6,000 - but, thats not the point. Just want to find out my legal avenues

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">