• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate needed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bjzmzteach

My mother died in October and named me the executive of the estate, or what there was of it. We live in the state of Washington and it is a community property state. My mom left her 50% to my sister and I. However, after talking with the attorney we have decided to disclaim all interest back to our father. That way nothing needs to be probated to get our names on the title of the property it'll just stay with him until his passing. His will leaves all assets to us kids anyway. My dilema is that the attorney continues to tell me that the property (land title) needs to be probated to become completely clear for dad's name. A week ago my father went out to the county court house and took a death certificate of my mom's and they allowed him to sign a quick claim deed and real estate affidavide to clear mom's name off the title. The attorney today called me and informed of what dad had did and states that because of this it just muddy's the title even more. My mother had no other assets and my sister and I are disclaiming all interest in the will back to our father, that way at a later date we as a family could set up possibly a living estate with our father. My question is does this title of the land need to be probated or is there an easier simpler way to clear the title of mom's name just leaving dad's?

B

bjzmzteach

The title of the property was both in mom and dad's name. Then after her death he went to the county courthouse and filled out the quick claim deed and the real estate affidated to remove her name from the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">