• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

probate question/estate process, please read

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

susanmmiller

This is for someone experienced with probate/estate process in NY.
My aunt died( my mother's sister); as a result I will be receiving a large amt of money from her estate.
The lawyer handling the estate (administrator /executor) will be sending me a check. What type of paperwork will I be receiving from him, what personal info do I have to provide (social security number?? etc) on the paperwork right before the lawyer sends me my portion. Does this paperwork have to be notarized? (I already signed off months ago allowing my cousin to be administrator of estate, his lawyer is executor or vice versa, that paperwork Was Notarized Before it was mailed to lawyer handling estate)
Also do I have to file a NY state tax form (not IRS)
Estate was approx 2.3 million (goes to 5 relatives incl myself)
Please explain how this works, if check is made out to myself, can I endorse it over to another person or an attorney to cash it?
Thanks very much.
Susan from NY STATE

Last edited:

anteater

Why the frantic tone of these questions?

I don't recall New York exactly, but you will probably receive an estate accounting and a request that you release the cousin from his/her responsibilities for administering the estate. Why not just ask the cousin or the cousin's attorney?

Generally, inheritances are not taxable. With an estate of that size, some of what you receive might be income that the estate realized during administration and that is passed through to you to be reported on your income tax return. Again, your cousin or the cousin's attorney would be supplying that information to you, if applicable.

..if check is made out to myself, can I endorse it over to another person or an attorney to cash it?
Huh? Why? It's a check like any other check. You can do what you wish with it.

susanmmiller

Thank you

Thanks very much for your informative reply. I have since contacted an estate attorney who believes that my ssn will be required on paperwork Before releasing the funds to me.
Susan

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">